Sunday, August 29, 2010

Exactly What I Needed To Hear

Today's church sermon was amazing. I felt like God wanted me to be there to hear it and it was in some ways written to help me. It was absolutely amazing and I'm going to try to explain what Pastor Sam talked about.

The whole service was about Marriages marred and mended. Now, yes, I'm well aware that I'm not married, but I felt like this applied directly to my relationship. It's no secret that Andrew and I have our problems. We are a very passionate couple, and passion comes with love and sometimes (well many times) arguments.

A model marriage has this:

Oneness - Where your spouse is the most important person in your life, other than God. In the bible it says, "A man is to leave his mother and father and join with his wife." Pastor Sam said that doesn't mean you technically have to leave your parents, but a man is to now regard his wife as the most important relationship, and no one should come before her (expect for God).

Openness - This one is kinda self explanatory. You have to be open with your spouse.

Next..... A Marred Marriage

Pastor Sam talked about how marriage problems are spiritual problems. Which I totally agree, and that can also be in any dating relationship too. Selfishness is the heart of the problem. That really struck a cord with me, because I know he is right. I'm not ashamed to say I can be and am selfish. It is one of my worst qualities. That has to change if I ever want things to get better. I realize that and I really am working hard on it. Pastor Sam named some selfish-ness (is that a word?) and I'm gonna write them out. I don't remember exactly what he said with each of them because I was to busy paying attention to write. haha

~ Self-focused Deception
~ Self-focused Desire - which he said was focusing on what I don't have more than what I do have. Which, by the way, is A LOT if I would just realize it.
~ Self-focused Desire
~ Self-focused Deflection
~ Self-focused Domination

And then the blame game starts. In Genesis, Adam blames Eve for tempting him with the apple, and then Eve blames the snake. They never blame themselves, which I admit, I do a lot. I got to start sucking up my pride and blaming myself for the stuff I have done.

Pastor Sam said marriages are never hopeless, because there is a God who can mend ANYTHING!

Next.... A Mended Marriage
God gives hope to the broken hearted.

A marriage (or relationship) can be mended through the power of our Savior.

Romans 5:20b was quoted. It says, "But where sin abounded, grace abounded much more."

He also showed this picture.


He said," If there is hope at ground zero, then there can be hope in a marriage."

The key to any marriage or relationship is to not focusing on each other, but on Jesus.

I hoped this helped someone, because it really did help me!!

3 comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online